Here are the most interesting new bikes (my opinion):
1. Suzuki V-Strom 1050 New V-Strom has design that reminds a lot the old DR 800 (and 750) adventure-bike from 80’s and 90’s. Now it has 1037cc V-Twin engine with 107 HP.
2. BMW F900R & F900XR 1 year ago BMW brought new 850cc engine and now they made it even bigger! This new parallel-twin gives 105 HP and XR version makes nice small brother for the S1000XR adventure bike!
3. Ducati Streetfighter V4 Ducati is now officially “the king of naked bikes”. This amazing bike has 208 HP and the bike weights only 180kg!! You can update the exhaust and the bike will have even 220 HP!!!
4. Harley Davidson Livewire HD makes a big surprise for quite many! It is bringing full electric bike with very reasonable price!! You can ride more than 200 km’s with one charge. And it’s totally silent.
This time it was very interesting! There was so many new models it felt like there’s no time enough to get to know all of them. Luckily I’m not a big fan of sportbikes… So few bikes wasn’t so interesting to me.
1. KTM 790 Adventure Maybe the biggest group of interested viewers was around this bike. It’s no wonder. The bike looks very good! It has hew parallel twin engine that KTM introduced last year. The engine has little bit less power than in 790 Duke but of course the torque is better is all rpm’s. Bike has almost all possible electronics: traction control, cornering abs, offroad abs, ridemodes and so on. It has 20 litres tank that gives the bike easily more than 400 km’s range on the road. Tank is placed around the engine so the center of gravity is very low. Price for this bike is 18500€ in Finland!
2. Yamaha 700 Tenere Another adventurebike but totally different kind of idea! This is simple, not too much electronics and it looks more ready for an OffRoad ride! It’s almost 6000€ cheaper than KTM! The final price is still open but they said it will not be more than 12800€! 200mm travel is not much but they’ve tested this bike quite long time so I guess they think it’s enough. 16 liters tank gives this bike more than 300 km’s range.
3. BMW R1250GS And here is another adventurebike but yet again totally different kind of thinking. This is legend of all touring/ adventurebikes but now it has bigger engine, more power and torque and it’s again more expensive. It has simply everything you can ever imagine the bike could have… -Ok, no reverse gear or automatic gearbox but anyway. The price for adventure version is more than 31000€ in Finland
4. Suzuki Katana Suzuki makes a nice return to interesting and “modern” bikes. But the funny thing is that the design is very retro when it is based on 80’s Katana. The engine they take from GSX-S1000F so it delivers very nice power and easy riding. And the way it looks it will always give strong feelings to all pure motorcyclists!
5. Triumph 1200 SpeedTwin Triumph presents new line with 1200 Twin engine. The bike still looks totally retro but the engine is now more like modern and sporty. It delivers 96 hp with 112Nm torque in 4950rpm. Compare this with T100 engine: 64hp and 80Nm in 3800rpm -you can say that there is a big difference.
February in Helsinki Finland, -12 degrees centigrade, the deepest and coldest winter.
But we have nice opening for the season, the motorcycle exhibition! This year Ducati and MV Agusta didn’t have own stand in the show but other brands were there! Here are the most important new models:
This could be a first “big” bike for quite many riders in the future! It’s low and small, the riding position is very natural even for a big rider like me. And it’s very easy to ride!
It has 2 cylinder engine that gives some “vibes” around 4k rpm. It’s actually more like a tickle through the seat and when the seat is quite hard you really can feel it!
First thing I would change with this bike is the seat. It’s not very comfortable.
Honda makes the bikes feel like very good quality. I can imagine that if you buy this bike you can easily ride many many kilometers with it!
Throttle and engine responses slowly. There’s not too much power. But if you think about the possible first bike it’s only a good thing!
The biggest surprise is that even it’s a very small bike it didn’t feel small at all when I was sitting on it. So it can be a bike also for a tall guy like me. Suspension was working nicely with my weight on it (120kg’s).
The temperature went down for easter! It was something like -5 during the night and didn’t go up more than close to zero in the daytime. But still we desided to take a ride!
This is my first time to the top of the sandpit wall! I’ve tried it maybe two times before in this place, but now finally I made it!
In this same video I almost fell in good speed because the ground is frozen and I loose control of the rear wheel! You can see this in 09:35.
The second video is from Rausjärvi:
This same road I rode a day before and it was much more soft. Now the cold weather and the frozen ground made it quite easy.
Third video is a fast gravelroad from Ahonpää (Nummi-Pusula) to Antiainen (Karkkila):
Next video is 4 bikes going over the stream in Lammassaari:
I also made a short video to IG just a few minutes before:
Helsinki motorcycle exhibition 2017 was in Messukeskus Expo and Convention Centre.
Even there’s this possible (totally insane) motorcycle-tax coming it didn’t seem to affect the peoples intrest. Here are some of the most interesting bikes of the show:
I did a post in august 2013 about the best motorcycleroads in Finland -now it’s time to make the same in English.
I have chosen only the routes that are longer than 10 km. You can also find the best roads from motocaching.net but there the most of the introductions and comments are in Finnish. And my list is not the same!
Porkkalantie Pros: Nice corners and landscapes Cons: Few parts only 40km/h speedlimit